BASKETBALL. Charles Bennett is the kind of guy that you wish you knew when you were having trouble getting paid while playing abroad. The good news is that anytime going forward, his association IBPA (International basketball player association) can support you in these kind of matters. So, bookmark his site right now! Charles actually played professionally abroad from 2001 to 2008 in various places (Germany, Poland, Cyprus, etc.) and witnessed many players lose money from clubs that wouldn’t pay them. After returning to his home country, the USA, he decided to attend law school, kind of on a whim…like most people would do!? Or not!
One of his old agent soon asked him to help with an arbitration case, which led him to find his passion and niche. His own business was created to help players and agents file arbitration cases, which are alternative dispute resolutions as opposed to having to go to court. Charles’s goal is to help young players out and making the industry a bit more transparent and hold its teams to their word. Since we share a lot of the same passion, we are also looking forward to a great partnership with Chuck in the future. Watch this space!
Legal help for professional athletes abroad
So, if a club overseas owes you money, listen to this episode very carefully. In our podcast Charles and I talk about:
- What the Basketball Arbitral Tribunal does and how it can help you? You might also want to check out Charles’ guest post on the topic
- What are your legal rights regarding your contracts- theoretically and how it looks in reality
- Charles tells a story about two U.S. American players in Eastern Europe who were in a bit of a bind over salary issues
- He also describes his own challenges of cultural differences when playing in Poland.
- We analyze how the number of players overseas exploded due to the development in the leagues abroad in Europe, Asia & South America
- Charles gives his input on the differences between having an agent and not, and how you should be aware of scams out there because guys are desperate to live their dream of playing basketball professionally. Don’t let someone take advantage of you. “There is all kinds of things agents can help with contracts and additional benefits because they have the experience.”
- He shares his knowledge about safe places to take contracts as a pro baller.
“Most arbitration cases are from the Eastern Block. But the success rate of the arbitration is really high, probably in 90% of the cases. When you win the award, FIBA can sanction the teams, so you have a pretty good chance of collecting. But it depends on the team.”
If you would like to stay updated on our podcast, sign up for our monthly newsletter.
Stay interculturally fit,